After successfully winning a Europe-wide selection process by the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, Kai Otto Architects are planning and building the general refurbishment of the listed neo-baroque former eye clinic. Built between 1898-1901, it will be converted into a laboratory and offices for the Fraunhofer Translational Center for Regenerative Therapies and the Fraunhofer Center for Stem Cell Process Engineering.
The three upper floors and the attic are being renovated while the university canteen on the ground floor is in operation. The basement is expanded by an underground technical building. In addition to ultra-modern laboratory areas, offices and meeting rooms are to be created.
The monument preservation concept is to restore the stucco-decorated entrance area, the historic staircase and the corridors with terrazzo floors, while all the utility rooms will be modernised and furnished according to the latest standards. In addition, the complete house technology and the outdoor facilities will be renewed.
Client: Fraunhofer Gesellschaft
Start of construction: 03/2020 - ongoing project
Cost of construction: approx. 23,0 Mio. € including equipment
Project team: Niki Asimi, Laura Kellermann, Franziska Wießmeier, Johanna Perez, Sandra Rauh, Marianne Dechant, Wolfram Kottmeier, Lida Papakyriakopoulou, Sebastian von Rosen
Site management for Kai Otto Architekten: Kosel Architekten, Würzburg